The morning light woke us up before 5am. We thought it must have been much later. We went back to bed until about 7:30am. Nicky left for work at about 8am.
At about 10am, we set out to catch the underground to Bond Street station. Suzy went shopping at the nearby shops while I walked east down Oxford Street to the British Museum.
The museum is very impressive - not just because of its contents but also because of its architecture. I looks like it might have had an open courtyard in the past but this open area is now covered to a huge dome roof - modern architecture tying together the Roman architecture.
I spent about 90 minutes there walking through the exhibits which cover ancient Rome, Greece, Asia, Britain, etc. One of the star exhibits is the Rosetta Stone.
I needed to leave before 1pm to get back to Bond Street Station to meet Suzy because we had organised to meet Nicky for lunch near her office in Canary Wharf at 2pm.
Canary Wharf is like another city. It's a modern high-rise city that's been built over the last 10 years or more on the site of the docklands area that was heavily bombed during Wold War II.
We found a cafe in one of the shopping arcades and phoned Nicky to tell her where we were. After a quick bite, the girls went shopping for shoes and clothes (surprise, surprise).
Nicky suggested that I should visit the Docklands Museum which is just across a canal from the office-block area. She took me a few blocks to point out where the museum is. On the way, she showed me the building in which she works and the building where John works.
In the museum, there is a special exhibit on Jack the Ripper. To see the exhibits for the remainder of the museum, you go up to level 3 and work your way down. It covers the history of London and the docklands area from Roman times through medieval times, the slave trade, World War II and the reconstruction of the area. One of the exhibits has a large replica model of the medieval London Bridge.
I left the museum at about 5pm which is just when everyone else decided to leave the many huge office blocks. The underground train was very crowded. I only just managed to squeeze in when they closed the doors. I was worried that my backpack was going to be squashed by the doors.
I caught the train to Covent Garden, swapping from the Jubilee line at Green Park for the Picadilly line. From there I walked back towards Soho until I found the theatre and the restaurant Nicky had booked for dinner before the show.
Suzy had wanted to see a show while we were in London and had asked Nicky a few weeks ago to get tickets for us to see Jersey Boys. She got four tickets because we had found out that Geoff (brother in law) was going to be in London too for a conference. John couldn't come because he is studying for exams.
Dinner was very nice but a bit rushed because we had to be at the theatre by 7:30pm.
The Prince Edward Theatre is a large theatre with a lot of character. Jersey Boys is the story of Franki Valli and the Four Seasons. We enjoyed the music but the show probably wasn't as good as we were hoping for.
Nicky had organised a car to pick us up after the show and take us back to her house.
Click here to see my photos for this day.
At about 10am, we set out to catch the underground to Bond Street station. Suzy went shopping at the nearby shops while I walked east down Oxford Street to the British Museum.
The museum is very impressive - not just because of its contents but also because of its architecture. I looks like it might have had an open courtyard in the past but this open area is now covered to a huge dome roof - modern architecture tying together the Roman architecture.
I spent about 90 minutes there walking through the exhibits which cover ancient Rome, Greece, Asia, Britain, etc. One of the star exhibits is the Rosetta Stone.
I needed to leave before 1pm to get back to Bond Street Station to meet Suzy because we had organised to meet Nicky for lunch near her office in Canary Wharf at 2pm.
Canary Wharf is like another city. It's a modern high-rise city that's been built over the last 10 years or more on the site of the docklands area that was heavily bombed during Wold War II.
We found a cafe in one of the shopping arcades and phoned Nicky to tell her where we were. After a quick bite, the girls went shopping for shoes and clothes (surprise, surprise).
Nicky suggested that I should visit the Docklands Museum which is just across a canal from the office-block area. She took me a few blocks to point out where the museum is. On the way, she showed me the building in which she works and the building where John works.
In the museum, there is a special exhibit on Jack the Ripper. To see the exhibits for the remainder of the museum, you go up to level 3 and work your way down. It covers the history of London and the docklands area from Roman times through medieval times, the slave trade, World War II and the reconstruction of the area. One of the exhibits has a large replica model of the medieval London Bridge.
I left the museum at about 5pm which is just when everyone else decided to leave the many huge office blocks. The underground train was very crowded. I only just managed to squeeze in when they closed the doors. I was worried that my backpack was going to be squashed by the doors.
I caught the train to Covent Garden, swapping from the Jubilee line at Green Park for the Picadilly line. From there I walked back towards Soho until I found the theatre and the restaurant Nicky had booked for dinner before the show.
Suzy had wanted to see a show while we were in London and had asked Nicky a few weeks ago to get tickets for us to see Jersey Boys. She got four tickets because we had found out that Geoff (brother in law) was going to be in London too for a conference. John couldn't come because he is studying for exams.
Dinner was very nice but a bit rushed because we had to be at the theatre by 7:30pm.
The Prince Edward Theatre is a large theatre with a lot of character. Jersey Boys is the story of Franki Valli and the Four Seasons. We enjoyed the music but the show probably wasn't as good as we were hoping for.
Nicky had organised a car to pick us up after the show and take us back to her house.
Click here to see my photos for this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment