16 June 2008

Monday 16th June - South Wales to North Wales


We had our bags packed before we went downstairs for breakfast at 8am. I had another full English breakfast - fruit, bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms, toast, jam, honey, marmalade, coffee, etc. I could get used to this except that I don't need the mushrooms.

Lee helped us bring the bags downstairs and we drove out of the B&B at 9am bound for Pembroke to see Pembroke Castle. When we got there, we decided not to go inside. Instead I walked around the castle to take photos from the outside.

In the process, I got chatting to a man who was walking his dog (a border collie) because the dog ran up to me to say hello and started sniffing my shoes and trousers. I explained to the man that I have a golden retriever. The man recognised my accent and said that he has relatives who live in Hervey Bay.

From Pembroke, we travelled north towards Cardigan. On the way, we stopped briefly when we spotted yet another castle, Carew Castle. I took a few photos and visited the castle reception where I bought an excellent tourist map of Wales which would prove to be a big help for the rest of the day in finding our way north.

At New Quay, we parked near the beach and wandered down to the wharf to take photos. Once again, most people were dressed in T-shirts and shorts whereas we wore our fleeces to keep us warm. When I got back to the car, I checked the thermometer on the dashboard and it said 15C.

At Aberaeron, we stopped for lunch - although there was some doubt about that for a while because we had trouble finding a parking spot. This town is famous for its painted houses - making it look like an Italian fishing village.

For the rest of the trip to Conway (the Welsh call it Conwy), we decided to drive straight through and avoid distractions. However, we did stop briefly at Dolwyddelyn Castle and at Betws-Y-Coed.

Conway is another walled town. This time, our B&B (Gwynfryn) was within the walls. The B&B had given us detailed instructions on how to find the B&B because there are lots of one-way streets after you enter the arches through the walls.

The B&B is near the centre of town and happens to be opposite the police station. We parked behind the police cars, unloaded our bags and then our host, Colin, helped us take our bags up the stairs to our room on the second floor.

After settling in, we went for a walk through the town including a walk along the walls. The walls are very uneven but at least they have handrails for the benefit of tourists like us. When I climbed up to the top of one of the towers to take photos, I made sure that I hung on tight to the handrails.

For dinner, we ended up going to the restaurant next door to the B&B. Most of the other restaurants were closed because it was a Monday night.

This B&B also has WiFi internet access at 54Mbps but I couldn't get it to work and so I used the USB modem instead.

Click here to see my photos for this day.

No comments: